Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Celebration of Grandfathers End Questions


1. His grandfather was a farmer
2. So he could learn how to be a farmer
3. Greeting elders with “Buenos dias le de Dios” because is respectful
4. To be respectful, how to farm, to help ant bites, to pray for the rain, to have patience
5. As a kid, Anaya thought his grandfather was a giant but he was actually five feet tall
6. His grandpa didn’t talk much, so when he spoke, Anaya listened. He remembered everything he said, and learned valuable life lessons. Example: When Anaya was bitten badly by ants, he put mud on it and stated “Know where you stand.”

7. Although people said how great it was for the grandfather to live to 94, they don’t realize that the last few years were full of suffering. He knows to realize the difficulty of becoming so old and respect that.
Le evidence:
            “He was ninety-four when he died. Family, neighbors, and friends gathered; they all agreed he had led a rich life. I remembered the last years, the years he spent in bed. And as I remember now, I am reminded that it is too easy to romanticize old age. Sometimes we forget the pain of the transformation into old age, we forget the natural breaking down of the body…. Mt grandfather pointed to the leaves falling from the tree. So time brings with its transformation the often-painful wearing-down process.

8. Writing anything takes time, as does growing crops. They both have patience to bring them from the ground up.

9. Option One: Admiration. Anaya looks back on his grandfather as a great man, and shows that through his writing. He really respects him and looks up to him.
OR OR OR
It could be persuasive. At the beginning and end, he really highlights the need to respect your elders. Perhaps the innards of the story are just one big example.

Option One Example:
I am glad I knew my grandfather. I am glad there are still times when I can see him in my dreams, hear him in my reverie

Option Two Example:
So as I would greet my abuelo long ago, it would help us all to greet the old ones we know with this kind and respectful greeting.

10. Anaya doesn’t seem to agree with that. He believes that the older ways are better and elders need to be honoured by continuing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment