Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Letter from Wangero


Dear Mama,
            I am very disappointed in you. I thought my visit with you would be great, but your negativity made the whole thing completely dreadful. You do not understand the significance of that quilt. It needs to be preserved, and what better way to do so than hanging it in my house? You are not in touch with our heritage. Our life has been forgotten when we came to America. Our names don’t represent our family, which is why I changed mine to a more accurate one. After I met Hakim-A-Barber, he introduced me to the Nation of Islam. They are all for getting in touch with your roots and empowering our race. I had hoped that Maggie would be smart enough to realize the importance of remembering the great days of the past, but unfortunately she takes more after you.

Don’t expect any further contact with me.

Sincerely,
Wangero

1 comment:

  1. Rosalie - I really like the way you connected this letter with the Nation of Islam and focused on Heritage.

    ReplyDelete